CH 42 & TH 13 Intersection Improvements
- Construction Year: 2018
- Community: City of Prior Lake and Savage
- Corridor Served: CH 42
- Project Lead: Scott County
- Contractor: S.M. Hentges & Sons
- Start Date: April 9, 2018
- Anticipated Completion Date: Thanksgiving 2018
Traffic Control Changes: (Updated 6/19/18)
- Full Closure of CH 42 East of TH 13 to Quebec Avenue will begin on 6/25:
- Closure is anticipated to begin at 6 am on Monday, 6/25; weather permitting
- A temporary access will be in place from Quebec Avenue to Rhode Island
- Detour Map
- Traffic will remain reduced to one lane from Boone Avenue to TH 13
- Commerce Drive Access is permanently closed: The cul-de-sac will be in place by August.
- Anticipated Temporary Closure of CH 42 West of TH 13 to Rutgers Street: Starting Mid/Late August ending Late September/Early October
Construction Progress/Schedules: (Updated 6/19/18)Construction is delayed due to the accumulated rainfall over the last few weeks. The utilities cannot be relocated with the wet conditions of the underlying roadbed. Traffic will remain reduced to one lane on the northside of CH 42.
Weather, both locally and nationally has delayed the project start date. Unseasonably cold and snowy weather locally has delayed excavation due to Spring load limits on the roads. Hurricanes on the east coast have created shortages and delays in getting electrical components needed to complete the construction of a new substation in Savage. The lack of the new substation means the power lines along CH 42 cannot be deactivated which is necessary to facilitate construction.
These unforeseeable delays have forced Scott County, City of Prior Lake and City of Savage to formulate a new project staging plan. Several alternative plans have been presented, discussed and reviewed; the New Staging Plan was chosen to allow construction to continue with consideration of time, cost and safety.
This project will install dual left turn lanes on CH 42, install permanent signals on CH 42/TH 13 and CH 42/Quebec, road surfacing and install trail/sidewalk.
Purpose & Justification
Traffic studies conducted with developments in the northeast and southeast quadrants of CH 42 and TH 13 identified unacceptable levels of service.